Jess asked about lunch on Sunday: They were salmon cakes, and I sort of eye balled amounts and tasted as I went, adjusting for salt and acid until it tasted good. Fresh lemon juice works wonders.
I bought mirepoix from Trader Joes (already minced onion, celery, carrots) and sauteed in oil till translucent. I also minced a red pepper and added it to the mirepoix.
Then I used canned salmon, capers, the mirepoix, lots of fresh herbs (cilantro, basil, dill, parsley), mayonnaise, a little bit of hot chili pepper (minced), a couple of eggs and breadcrumbs to bind it (they were actually rice crumbs, from Trader Joes, so it would be gluten free). I formed them into patties then fried them up in a bit of oil in a saute pan.
I based it on this recipe, but didn't have Worcestshire or old bay (I forgot to buy it).
The smoked turkey salad we had in July is super easy.
Smoked turkey -- get the butcher to give you a 1/2 inch slice, then you can cube it.
Wild rice -- prepare according to package directions -- probably no more than 1 cup. I would do 1 to 1 ratio with orzo pasta. Cool
orzo pasta - according to package. Cool (rinse with cold water)
mayo - add a bit at a time so you don't make it too saucy
fresh dill -- lots of it. Can hardly put too much in it.
seedless grapes -- as many as you want
Salt & pepper
I usually serve it on greens.
The chocolate chip cookies are a dirty little secret: just the Tollhouse recipe, but boost the brown sugar and reduce the white sugar proportionally, and double the salt. You can sprinkle Maldon sea salt on the top for extra salty crunch.
Thanks for liking the food!
No comments:
Post a Comment